JMR Solicitors regularly guide employers on Employment Tribunal claims, Settlement Agreements and all other employment disputes.
As an employer, you have a legal obligation to deliver a fair working setting that fulfils applicable legislation, while still your workforce well. If your current or ex employee has raised a matter or brought a claim to an employment tribunal, it is vital to have legal advice to protect your business and status.
JMR Solicitors can help you through each part of the employment tribunal for employer’s process. We can achieve the best available outcome in a cost-effective manner.
Costs for Employment Tribunals for employers and fees for bringing claims for unfair and wrongful dismissal are based on three bands which are explained below.
Sometimes insurance, such as commercial legal expenses insurance, might mean your business is covered and can recover part or all your legal fees – on which case we can advise you about those types of funding possibilities.
Several factors affect your price banding, and the assessment is made to ensure we can provide the best legal service to you. We will tell you about the costs for employment tribunals for employees upfront before work commences. We shall decide the level of the fee earner that will advise you on this matter.
Aspects that may influence the level of fees you incur are:
- A legal expert responding to a claim that has been made against you
- Reviewing documentation that sets out the factual and legal basis of the claim
- Answering to Orders made by the Tribunal
- Any applications to a Tribunal made on your behalf
- Whether an Employment Tribunal hearing is needed
- Whether you elect to appoint a more senior fee earner such as a Partner
The prices indicated below for employment tribunal costs for the employers are subject to VAT and estimates may not include additional disbursements such as barrister or expert advice fees. Therefore, it is advised that you check with JMR Solicitors on consultation. Each case is fact dependant and unique in nature, so we can give you a true representation of the costs involved based on your own case, so you can be made aware of the additional costs upfront.
We aim to be totally transparent on pricing from the start, so none of our clients will ever be surprised when their bill arrives.
Pricing for employment tribunals for employees
Our fees for defending claims for unfair and wrongful dismissal are based on three bands.
Tier 1 – Simple Case which is defined by the following:
- No Preliminary Hearing
- Up to a maximum of 2 witnesses
- No greater than 1 day in Employment Tribunal
- Limited documentation
£6,000 to £8,000 + VAT
Tier 2 – Mid-range complexity of cases for employers:
- Preliminary Hearing
- Significant documentation
- Greater than 2 witnesses
£8,000 to £12,000 + VAT
Tier 3 – Complex cases which can be defined by the following:
- Preliminary Hearing
- Multi day Hearing
- Extensive witness evidence
- Multi Respondents
- Significant documentation
- Inter-party applications/cost applications
£12,0000 to £20,000 + VAT
Attending Tribunal hearing per day*
* We’ve often found that tribunal hearings take one day, but if it is apparent that it will take longer due to the length of the hearing then we will make this clear to you.
Disbursements costs for employment tribunals for employees
Disbursements are all third-party related costs that we will pay on your behalf and that will be included in the bill. This will include court fees, barrister fees and so on.
Counsel’s fees estimated between £750 to £2000 per day (depending on experience of the advocate) for attending a Tribunal Hearing (including preparation).
If the case becomes complex, we will let you know as soon as possible as this will incur further fees.
Instances that may lead to an increase in cost include:
- If it is essential to make or defend applications to alter existing claims or to provide additional information about an existing claim
- Defending claims brought by litigants in person
- Constructing or defending a costs application
- Complex initial issues such as whether the claimant is disabled
- The number of witnesses needed, and documents needed to establish your argument
- If the claim relays to an automatic unfair dismissal claim
- If the claim involves assertions of discrimination
This is just an estimate and we will, of course, be able to give you a more accurate cost on a case by case scenario.
Employment Law- Team Details
Our senior employment law partner, Marium Razzaq heads up the team and has been working in this area for more than 15 years, leading some of our most high-profile cases to a successful conclusion.
Our solicitors have experience in all aspects of employment law and we dedicate ourselves to ensuring our knowledge stays up to date, in order to give you the best service possible. They have between 1 and 10 years of experience in the area. We always make sure that junior solicitors and members of staff are supported and supervised appropriately so that the quality of advice is not affected, regardless of who is working on your case.
We also employ a team of paralegals who do much of the day to day work on cases. Although they are not legally qualified, they have between 2 and 10 years’ experience, have received extensive training within our firm and work under the direct supervision of a solicitor with at least 5 years post qualification experience.
We have a proven track record in achieving successful outcomes for our clients.
Looking for a free 30-minute consultation* about your costs for employment tribunal for employers? Call 0161 491 3933 to book your free consultation.
*£10 booking fee applies, which is non-refundable – but should you pursue using JMR Solicitor’s services, this will be deducted from your final bill.