To find a solicitor that specialises in family law, one must first understand what aspects of law the family law solicitor works with.
What is a family lawyer?
Family law covers a wide-ranging field of different matters, from divorce and childcare disputes to cohabitation and international family matters. A family lawyer is a trained legal expert who focusses on these areas and someone who can offer comprehensive advice.
Family law solicitors handle the whole lot, from property and tax to child custody arrangements and prenuptial agreements, so you may call on your family law solicitor for various reasons.
When relationships break down and new ones start, there are always legal matters that will need addressing. Some can be complex matters, especially when it concerns childcare and living arrangements. When it comes to family law, most issues need to be handled extremely carefully, and this is where experts such as JMR Solicitors come in. We are well-known family law solicitors in Manchester and beyond who specialise in each niche area of family law, to give you the best tailored advice and guide you towards a resolution that is satisfactory for everyone.
Which areas are considered under family law?
Anything related to family matters and domestic relations is habitually counted in the field of a family law solicitor.
It includes all matters concerning family relationships such as:
- Marriage and civil partnership – if you and your partner want to get married or enter into a civil partnership, you may need a family law solicitor to make legal arrangements before entering the marriage. For instance, a prenuptial agreement that guards your finances and property in case of separation.
- Cohabitation – this area relates to couples who live together but are not married by law, and who want to draw out what should happen to property and assets if they should split up. This is called a cohabitation agreement.
- Divorce – the most common reason for needing legal advice is in the instance of a breakdown of a relationship. It takes expertise and knowledge to steer the process of legal separation, to negotiate for a fair settlement and make all the obligatory arrangements to the fulfilment of all parties. A good divorce solicitor can reduce the stress and upset necessary, taking a weight off your shoulders.
- Domestic violence – if you have experienced domestic violence, legal advice is essential during this problematic of times. A family lawyer can help with the legal arrangements to keep you and your children safe, offering sound advice to help you break free and start a new life.
Family Law includes matters concerning Property rights
When a relationship ends, you and your partner will need to sort out how assets such as property will be divided. Often, this can lead to disputes over who owns what. Property can be a hugely complicated issue in legal terms, so it’s important to have an expert on your side.
An experienced family law solicitor can help to unravel your common assets and work out who has the legal right to property you own together. This could be based on who subsidises most of the mortgage payments, or other reasons such as who cares for the children (depending on the size of the property) who currently lives in the house. Family solicitors can also help to assemble the separation of property and assets of a couple who own a business together.
Family law also deals with all matters concerning Children
There are many diverse legal issues affecting children, which is why it is so vital to pursue dependable advice from a family law expert. Children’s matters include:
- Parental responsibility – this denotes to the legal rights, duties and responsibilities a parent has for a child, as well as property the child owns.
- Child custody – this is frequently one of the major issues in any separation. Where children will permanently live, who will look after them and how child provisions will be divided or shared are all things that need to be absolute for the children.
- Children’s rights – if a couple splits up, the rights of their children need to be upheld in just the same way as their parents. A family law solicitor can make sure that children get a fair deal in a divorce.
- Child protection – this refers to measures taken for the protection of a child from harm, the courts are often involved. Therefore, a family law specialist is needed, to help protect the child’s rights, represent the parent and steer the family towards a helpful consequence.
- Adoption – the adoption process can be lengthy and complex, causing a lot of hindrance for people who simply want to welcome a new member to their family. Family law solicitors with knowledge of the process can help to rationalise and make the process simpler.
How do you find a good family law solicitor?
When you are facing a family law issue, one of the first rational questions that comes to mind is, “How do I find a good family law solicitor that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg?” Knowing how to select a family law lawyer who will offer you with the legal advice you need, at a price you can manage to pay for, and be the right fit for your situation, is vital in all situations.
Here are some tips on how to find a good family law solicitor
The initial step is to decide what route you are going to take for your family law matter. Have you explored all other options before taking legal action for your family law dispute?
For example, decide whether you want to use mediation, litigation or collaborative Family Law. Then you can start looking for a family law solicitor who is knowledgeable in resolving issues that ascend as result of your family law case matter.
Decide what kind of legal service that you need.
If you have numerous assets, own businesses, or have an intricate financial situation, then you are going to need a skilled lawyer, or family law firm, who appreciates finances and is equipped to handle a complicated marriage breakdown. JMR solicitors have handles many such cases where there are several things to take into consideration.
If you have a short marriage, no kids, no property and are not dividing any pensions, then you may want to start by asking JMR solicitors for a free initial consultation with our family law solicitor.
Figure out what you can afford.
The next step is to work out what you can afford in legal fees. No one wants to pay several thousands of pounds but, there is such a thing as being penny wise and pound foolish. Find a solicitor willing to discuss your fees.
You must balance the level of legal services that you need with the cost of the services that you can afford; we can discuss this in your family law consultation.
Find a lawyer who is experienced in family law.
You need a lawyer who regularly works in family law matters – At JMR Solicitors we have been dealing with family law matters for more than ten years.
Make a list of questions to ask BEFORE you begin your free consultation.
It’s normal to be nervous when you go talk to a solicitor especially about something as personal as divorce, but we are known to be empathetic and sensitive to all family law matters. It’s also normal to be super-emotional when you are going through a divorce, so we will be more than happy to take the time to understand your needs.
Contact JMR Solicitors for all your family law matters on 0161 491 3933 or email us on email@example.com to book your free family law consultation.